Thursday, June 28, 2007

Prospects Safe

Just as I knew was the case, and contrary to BS hack journalism that seems to be the prevailing trend in the current competitive climate, Brian Cashman isn't trading his prospects, whatever his job status may be. This from ESPN Radio:

"Still, with Steinbrenner's words still ringing in Cashman's head, the GM vowed not to trade any of the Yankees' top prospects, such as starter Phil Hughes.

"I'm not worried about saving my job," Cashman said. "I'm not worried about doing my job. In doing my job, you have to balance both [now and the future.] I don't think it is a tough call. You have to make the right call. I'm not being paid to save my job. I'm being paid to do a job."

Cashman said that Steinbrenner agrees with this stance on not trading prospects.

"At the same time, [Steinbrenner] doesn't want to give up those young guys either," Cashman said. "But that could always change, too.""


The last note is Cashman's ominous footnote that should be attached to any comment concerning The Boss, but really means very little and should be ignored. I'm sure that the tabloids will run some kind of story tomorrow about this and use the last part as the main catch.

"Steinbrenner May Conduct Fire Sale on Yankee Farmhands" (Bastards. Long live blogging!!!)

1 comment:

ChrisV82 said...

I think Cashman has been at his best rebuilding the farm system. No one can criticize him on that part of his job, he's been pretty much flawless.

In other news, the Knicks starting five + their sixth man off the bench will be Stephon Marbury, Jamal Crawford, Zach Randolph, David Lee and Eddy Curry with Quentin Richardson.

Color me cautiously optimistic.