Thursday, April 05, 2007

Rude Reception

I was up at 3am to watch the debut of Daisuke Matsuzaka on NHK. It was a lot of fun, I must admit. Everything I've been saying about him was in evidence against the lowly Royals, and Red Sox Nation, not to mention Japan, are jubilant at his performance. I intensely dislike the Red Sox, but I've come to accept that my favorite player is now their ace. I'll live with it, and enjoy each of his starts, as long as the Red Sox lose the rest of their games. You can read my recap of that game at it's usual location.

I haven't seen the Yankees game yet, although I was secretly watching it at my desk via Gameday. The new look Gameday this year is very cool, but much harder to hide than it's predecessor. I didn't see the crowd reaction to Pettitte's return yet, and won't for many hours. I have it on my HDD recorder at home, but I doubt that I'll be going back to watch the whole game, knowing the hideous unspeakable outcome. Pettitte was horrible. 84 pitches through 4 innings of work is just bad. Proctor was bad. What do you expect from one guy who is coming back from a truncated Spring and another who should pitch every day?

The Yankees still had a chance in this game despite the poor start, but Luis Vizcaino managed to give the whole thing away. Not an auspicious start to the season, but the aim is always to win each series and we should be able to put the D-Rays away in Mussina's start to shore that up. The offense was good again, and it looks like we are going to be able to score the 1000 runs we've been narrowly missing the last few years. Just give me the pitching fellas. Give me Clemens and give me Phil Hughes by June, and all will be well. I kid when I'm sleepy.

Let's get 'em tomorrow. Go Yankees.

No comments: