Monday, September 18, 2006

It Never Happened

Since I was in Osaka, enjoying myself, and gorging myself on "takoyaki", I saw about one inning of the 4 games against Boston. In the book of logic being written by Canyon of Heroes those games, therefore, do not exist. Supposing in some alternate reality that the Yankees and Boston played back-to-back double headers, and supposing the Red Sox managed to win 3 of 4, alarm bells would be ringing somewhere in the Steinbrenner Zone.

If Mariano Rivera failed to appear in any games in which the bullpen blew the lead, there would be concern. If Derek Jeter's hitting streak were to end in those fictional games, there would be disappointment. If David Ortiz went 3-9 with 6 walks, 2 doubles, and a home run while Jeter managed 2-14 with no walks at the same time, the imaginary MVP chants would ring fairly hollow.

But, since these 4 fictional games, in fact, do not exist there's little to concern yourself with. Go about your business. I hear the Yankees will be playing the Blue Jays next. I also hear that Daisuke Matsuzaka will be pitching in a couple of days, and that Baseball Japan will be updated with a new feature about my Osaka trip and the baseball threads that ran through it. Bronx Banter's Alex Belth was kind enough to link to Matsuzaka Watch in his latest piece for CNNSI.com. Check it out. See you tomorrow. Go Yanks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike, love all three sites. Quick question:

I have TV Japan at school and I was wondering what date is Matsuzaka's next start. I would love to see him throw and any help would awesome. Thanks!

Mike Plugh said...

Matsuzaka starts tonight. That would be Japanese time about 6pm on Tuesday, September 19th.

Not sure if it will be shown on TV Japan though....

Anonymous said...

Yeah I looked on the guide and it said that it won't be there. But there is a sports show or something at 1030 so i'm going to try and get to see that if I can. When does the whole posting process start? Probably the better question is when does the Japanese season end?